Saturday, June 26, 2021

An Excursion To Bullington Gardens

A day trip to Hendersonville took us to Bullington Gardens, the former residence and nursery of Bob Bullington. The gardens are now a horticultural education center in partnership with NC cooperative extension and the Henderson County public schools. It is also public garden open to everyone.














While not a large garden, it is home to a good many mature Japanese maples and a number of unusual mature ornamental trees.














The layout of the front perennial beds looked like some of the original design was still in use.














In it was the third one of this unknown plant I have seen this year. What is it? I like the foliage and they are all about to bloom.














A large Stewartia pseudocamellia was in full bloom. Mine got froze. I noticed yesterday evening mine was still going to have a few blooms.














A more recent introduction, the pink Hydrangea arborescens led into a pollinator garden.














What every gardener should want, a few big piles of arborist wood chips.














This is one very large weeping Japanese maple. There is a person on the left.














A look inside.














The therapy garden was a big paved courtyard with a covered seating area and a vat of pond scum.














Raised beds in a formal layout hosted a colorful annual display.














There is a native woodland garden, a fairy garden for the kids and a large collection of azalea both deciduous and evergreen. Bullington Gardens is definitely worth a visit when in Hendersonville.


4 comments:

Gypsy said...

Hi Christopher: That weeping Japanese Maple is magnificent, and I especially appreciate your taking a picture of the trunk and branches. Even though I love the look of the cascading leaves, the trunk and branch structure is the part of the tree I most enjoy. The unidentified plant that's just about to flower looks like a Thimbleberry. Possibly? Only a guess on my part. Thanks for sharing your day at Bullington Gardens. It has gone on my list of gardens I would like to visit. Gypsy

deb said...

Enjoying these beautiful photos.

beverly said...

Hi Christopher; I am thinking that mystery plant looks like a kirengoshoma palmata, wax bells. Great plant for part shade although I learned the hard way don't let it get too dry.

Christopher C. NC said...

Yes the mystery plant was ID as Kirengeshoma palmata, Yellow Wax Bells. I read up on it and it has real potential for the wild cultivated gardens. Now I must find some.