Saturday, November 1, 2008

Next Come The Purlins

Recently planted Autumn Crocus or Colchicum perhaps, are making a small show in the ridge top garden. Another season of bulbs can always be packed into the garden. I think we need to try some others like Rhodophiala bifida, the Oxblood Lily, Lycoris and Zephyranthes. There could be bulbs in every season.



The baby spotlets recover from a milk coma. They are getting less skittish and it is much easier to catch them for some cuddle time. They eat dry kitten chow, drink water from a bowl and hunt now, or at least play with the offerings mama Spot brings them. They spend a good deal of time on the roof of their cozy insulated, cardboard box, cat house.

Spotlet #1 may have a name. He is the brown tabby and has a mole above his lip just like Cindy Crawford. So I might call him Cindy or I might call him Crawford. Spotlet #2, a girl I think, is patterned a bit like a skunk. Stinky? Needs more work.



Next come the purlins for the roof for the front porch. These are horizontal 2x4's that go over the main rafters spaced two feet apart. The purlins are what the metal roof will actually be attached to.



There were a lot of fancy angle cuts involved. The main roof of the house was easier than this, thank goodness. This roof will just be the metal on top of the framing with the wood work underneath and the metal that shows through exposed. It will be painted of course. This should give me the real sound of rain on a tin roof unlike the main plywood sheathed, insulated and covered roof framing inside the house.



Nice profile, eh, like its own mountain range? A bonsai house.



The gardens to be are getting the natural mulch covering for the winter. It will be interesting to see what comes up in the spring. I refused the offer of grass seed which surprised the septic system man. I know that nature has a bountiful seed bank in this soil and plenty of tough perennials that will come back just fine. I did not want to mess it up with grass.



Next spring a garden expands.

10 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

When I first read the title of this post I thought you meant you had more Purrrlins showing up. Ha.. I like your bonsai house. It is slowing becoming a home. I will be fun to see what Mother Nature plants in your new garden space. I am so glad you refused grass.

Les said...

I am glad you just said no to the man who offered you grass.

Anonymous said...

Ditto to Les' comment on the grass. And for some reason, I thought the wild spotlet was the male - so sexist of me, I suppose, to think the calm one was female and the wild one was male. Maybe because I used to have a grey tabby female . . . .? It's nice to note that in your photo, the black and white one doesn't look wild at all any more.

Anonymous said...

Hi Christopher! I too agree with Kim's comment on Spotlet #2 or Stinky. That was the first thing I noticed in the photo of the kitties was how happy and calm she looked. Your porch is looking so good. I love to hear the rain on the roof. In the second to the last picture which shows the profile of your cabin, it looks like you have carved some paths into the hillside behind the cabin to make it easier to garden. It will be fun to see how this hillside evolves.

Gail said...

I have to comment on the kittens first...cute always gets attention! They are adorable!

Your house is looking more beautiful every day...I've looked over older posts to catch up. An impressive amount of work!

Gail

Anonymous said...

A lot of work, Christopher. I have watched it from when you first began to build your rock wall. It has evolved into a very lovely cozy cabin & grounds waiting for all those flowers. And now with the roadside garden {watched over by Uncle Ernie} you have it all. Just fine tune it to your liking.
You are to Congratulated.

Anonymous said...

Stinky???? No more acceptable than crazy bulb lady. Annie, where are you?

Frances
;->

Christopher C. NC said...

Lisa, three is enough and we are going to nip them all from having anymore. I wonder how much will change plant wise from the disturbance for the drain field in that swath of ground? I bet it will cause some major germination action.

Les, no lawn for me. There will only be at the most some grassy paths and roadside edges to weed wack on occasion.

Kim don't feel bad that was my first instinct about the kittens sexes too. I should have paid more attention to which one was bigger, the tabby. These kittens are quite plump. I can't imagine that Spot was ever a feral cat. Another dumped pet in the woods.

Siria the kittens are getting very used to me now. Yes I have been cutting paths across the slope below the cabin. Now they are maintenance width. Eventually I'd like them to be wider for easier strolling. This is a way to test the flow and see if I like it.

Hi Gail. Yep I have some cute kitties to keep me company this winter. Spot has come inside the basement so far. I want them to be ready to come inside if it gets wicked cold. In theory this tiny cabin seems so easy, a piece of cake, then all the minute details of construction come into play. It is getting there. It is good for me to look at pictures of it from this spring when it was just the columns and the floor.

Thanks Lola, I have the rest of my life to fine tune the place and I am just getting started. There are lots of plans for the future. It will be a fun adventure.

Frances, how about Spook or Mephytis?

Anonymous said...

Hi Christopher, both are better, I kind of like spook, so easy to become spooky, kind of a derivative of spot even. I forgot to say that the crocus look like C. speciosus, not colchicums I'm pretty sure.

chuck b. said...

I have those Zephyranthes for you... I just saw them the other day and said, "Send to Christopher." Cindy is a great name for a cat. I like human names for cats. I have always wanted to name something Rodney for some reason.

How exciting to see what comes up from the disturbed soil. I meant to bag up some soil from a nearby open space before the rains came, but it's too late now. Too busy.