Tuesday, November 25, 2008

A Walk In The Woods

With Spot.



The wind stopped howling. The snow made a weak attempt at falling, then gave up. The skies cleared again. Yesterday's rain and "warm" temperatures had melted most of the piled up snow on the sunnier slopes. There weren't any hunters parked at the pull off next door. Didn't hear any hounds. Despite the big high today of about 32 degrees, it was a good time for an afternoon stroll through the woods.

The Puttyroot Orchid, Aplectrum hyemale is one of the few firm green denizens of the forest floor after everything else has been laid to rest. My ID on this of a picture I had submitted to Dave's Garden was questioned. After the snow melted, I went back to the same patch for a better closeup to reassure the doubter.



You know your kitty has bonded with you when she follows you on a walk through the gardens and forest like a dog. My kitty likes me. She followed me all the way to my cozy cabin next door and back. This isn't unusual behaviour for cats. I have known many cats who like to go for garden walks.



A fern I have not identified also stays green through most of the winter. It gets mashed down a bit from the heavy wet leaf litter, the wind and the snow, but it stays green and gives the naked forest a hint of botanical life.



The bright orange fungus I have passed by for months suddenly becomes more interesting.



Spot waits for me.



Miscanthus turns brown in the sunny utility meadow



Tomorrow promises to be a pleasant day.



I can get a little work done on the cabin before the company arrives.

13 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

That Spot is a good kitty. She reminds me of my old cat that would follow me around. Yes, a fond memory.

Anonymous said...

Oh how heartwarming that Spot follows you. She is a good cat. Offspring Chickenpoet has that orchid in her woods too and I did the search on it. Your naming seemed correct to what I had found. Good deal on the warmth coming your way. Have a wonderful time with your company.
Frances

Anonymous said...

Hi Christopher! That Spot is too cute! I bet you two had a great time on your walk today...a bit chilly, but fun. :))
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Anonymous said...

Looks like you had a lovely walk. My kitty follows me around the garden,too. Cats are great garden companions.

Jan
Always Growing

chuck b. said...

My cats never leave the safety of the maison.

Lovely walk.

Anonymous said...

How heartwarming to see Spot following you on your walk. You all have definitely bonded. I love that rock {boulder} with the fern & moss on it. The icicles are a bonus. Seems as though you had a great walk.
I hope you & your family have a great "HAPPY THANKSGIVING".
Great family, good food, good company & friends & a great garden is what it's all about.

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

What a sweet kitty. My cat, Pete, joins me on walks in the meadow every once in awhile...

gintoino said...

Lovelly walk. My favorite cat ever, now dead for a few years, would also follow me on my coutryside walks. You are lucky to have spot around

Anonymous said...

I Love you, Christopher... Happy Thanksgiving to you and Spot.... I miss you terribly. Doug

Christopher C. NC said...

It will be even more fun when the spotlets, Crawford and Collar join us.

Happy Thanksgiving y'all!

Big hug to you Doug. Come visit next fall.

Anonymous said...

Christopher, Last night when I read your post and saw the photograph of the Puttyroot Orchid, I couldn't wait until morning because I had spotted something that looked like it just a few days before. I was wondering what it could be and I wanted to make sure it looked like your photograph. I am so excited as I think I have one that appeared out of nowhere in one of my flowerbeds! Where could it have come from? I have never seen one here before.

Christopher C. NC said...

Siria, it was probably there all along. The leaf only comes up in the fall, lasts through the winter and fades by the time the orchid blooms in the summer.

They do set seed though and you are in prime habitat for them. Here they are all over, singly, small groups or in patches.

Unknown said...

Spot is a good kitty... and a good dog, too. :)