Friday, November 7, 2008

The Tippy Top

I rented another section of scaffolding. Then I moved the whole contraption from the right side of the cozy cabin to the left side. I added the new section and was able to reach the tippy top of the far end of the loft. The last remnant of tar paper and house wrap is on and the end piece of the ridge cap for the roof is fastened down, except for one screw that I could not quite reach.

One stinking screw and that part of the roof would be done.



I may need to fasten one temporary step to the loft roof to reach the screwless spot, like those on the living roof where it meets the loft wall. That little bit of footing prevents me from sliding off the roof and landing in a crumpled heap on the ground.

The mountain is getting pretty bare and brown. The leaves have been falling non-stop for days. Even with no wind, they just plummet to the ground and land with a thud. Serious, a thud. It is the oddest sound for a falling leaf to make.



The falling acorns can be amusing to. Sometimes they ricochet around the tree tops on their way down, sounding like a bunch of ping pong balls let loose in the forest.

I know you can't tell from this picture, but the special order, odd shaped, fixed glass windows in the loft are actually in. They still need the interior stops and the exterior trim to finish them off. They fit perfectly which was nice. We do make accurate measurements 95% of the time.

The purlins for the front porch and back stoop are done. Next they need the fascia trim boards. Then they will be ready for the metal roofing



Incrementally, one detail at a time, the cozy cabin gets closer to being ready for a framing, rough electrical and rough plumbing inspection. We may not make it before the building contractor leaves, but I will continue on.



One screw on the back ridge cap of the loft and the final fastening of the front end of the living room ridge cap and the roof will be done. The cozy cabin will be officially dried in. Or we shall see with the next good rain or swirling snow.

10 comments:

Aunt Debbi/kurts mom said...

It is easy to see that this little cabin is going to be very nice.

Anonymous said...

Well, I was excited reading this post that you could take that scary scaffolding down - till I read the part about the screw. Dang it! I might consider tying myself to the scaffolding just in case...rope burn is better than a broken neck.

Consider how far you've come this season though; what a lovely place to live you have. I will look forward to hearing that the screw is in place!

bev

Anonymous said...

Always something to hold a person up. 1 little screw---ooooooh nooooooooo!!! It sure looks good though.
Seems it says "come sit a spell, enjoy my view--tomorrows another day".

Anonymous said...

It is so nice to meet another NCer! I'm down around WS. That is some grand cabin you got going there. You view is worth a million dollars. good luck and don't fall down in to the hollar

Les said...

How fortunate you are to live somewhere quiet enough to hear leaves thud and acorns ricochet. Good luck with your screw.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Be careful Christopher. I would hate to read here how you were ricocheting toward a pile of leaves. That is one tall scaffold.

Christopher C. NC said...

Let's just say if you all saw me up there on the scaffolding or the roof you might mistake me for a sloth in the rainforest. I move very slooowwly and deliberately.

Anonymous said...

Oh that is so high up I get dizzy just looking at it. You will get it done and have cause to celebrate with the twisting of that screw. It does look so bare now. I cannot imagine thudding leaves!

Frances

Anonymous said...

Your cabin is looking so good! I can't believe you have that one screw left. Good luck with that and be safe! Your pictures look like winter is already there. It seems like only a few days ago that you were still posting beautiful fall photos.

James Golden said...

Enjoy following your story. Good luck with that screw.