Thursday, October 14, 2010

Construction Report Year Three

Does it begin and end with heavy machinery?

The grader was parked below the cozy cabin today for the utility line trench digging and land scraping that should occur tomorrow. I am still more than a few processes away from a certificate of occupancy when the electric will actually be turned on inside the cabin, but I so look forward to the removal of that eyesore of a temporary power pole. You don't know how hard I try to keep it out of pictures.



Yes it has been three years and three months since this project began. I think I can finally see the finish line now.

The glass block shower wall turned out quite nice. All the white field tiles have been cut to size to go on the ends of the glass block to provide a more pleasing surface and something flat for the shower door frame to attach to. That should get done tomorrow while the grading is going on.



My little baby direct vent, gas wall furnace arrived. I have to drill a 3 inch diameter hole through the wall for the vent, but that process will be so much easier and quicker than an under cabin mounted furnace and all the duct work through the floor that would need.



And I went looking for a loft ladder. Loft ladders are not an easy thing to find on a web search. Mostly you end up looking at folding attic ladders and a few rolling library ladders. I finally stumbled upon an actual loft ladder manufacturer in California. They did not come up very high in searches. After perusing their site looking at the wide range of options, I called and spoke to the most pleasant woman you could imagine. That is kind of unexpected these days. She was most helpful and just maybe I can get a loft ladder to do everything I want it to. They have in house engineers who will design your specific ladder for free, but I have a tight corner that may be problematic.

I want my loft ladder to be able to be pushed flat against the wall when not in use and to unhook and be able to be used for the mini loft above the front door. I also want the loft ladder to roll into the corner of the room and not block the bathroom door and of course it needs to look good.

Sue, the most pleasant woman at Alaco ladders said we sure can do all of that.

We'll see. Instead of a rough sketch I am sending the engineer a picture with the measurements. The design constraints of the loft ladder tell me that at best a ladder could fit in the right corner with the left wheel five inches or so into the opening of the bathroom door. Maybe I can just forget the rolling into the corner part and be perfectly happy with it just being able to be unhooked and moved and pushed flat against the wall. If Alaco's free engineer can tell me otherwise I will be very surprised.

The building contractor wants to build his own loft ladder for much less money. That of course means I will have to build a ladder and I am not a fine carpenter by any stretch of the imagination nor do I want to try and reinvent the ladder on my own. Alaco Ladders has been doing it for a hundred years and Sue said yes to all my needs and we'll have the free engineer check for a solution to my problematic corner.



Tomorrow the grader will scrape my driveway smooth again and do some finish grading to divert water away from the cabin. That might take him a couple of hours and a few more to spread the gravel.

The garden to be in the sunny utility valley will all be scraped by hand. That could take another three years and three months. There are some walls to finish, a new wall to build, a monolithic stone sculpture to wrest into place and a few plants to plant.



But I don't look for a finish line in the garden to be. There never will be one. There is enough land here that I could keep expanding the garden for the rest of my days. Isn't that a nice thought.



One day soon though the cozy cabin will be done. That finish line I will be most happy to see.

11 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I am feeling your excitement of seeing the end of the construction of the Cozy Cabin. It is beginning to beg for an occupant. It's those details that seem to take so long. I can't wait to see what the engineer comes up with. I bet they love their job with a new puzzle to put together each day. Thank God for our gardens. We have something to look forward to each day too.

Lola said...

It is ever so ready for a special person to take occupancy for completeness. The physical end of the Cozy Cabin can take place later. Hooray for the power, warmth, water--all the necessary attributes for comfort.
Yes, that odd pole of sorts will be gone & it will look gorgeous. A very good thing to divert water away from the Cozy Cabin. Water is nice but can be destructive.
There is plenty of time for the garden of your dreams. It will surface as your ideas come into focus. It will all be lovely & your contentment will be ever so great.

Anonymous said...

This is exciting indeed, Christopher. Where is the other new wall going? Kitchen? I hope this company can build the ladder of your dreams, it sounds like the best bet, but I am sure you could build one too. It would just take time. A lifetime of garden expansion does indeed sound like heaven. :-)
Frances

Christopher C. NC said...

Lisa I am still thinking April as a move in time. There is still a kitchen to build among the countless details.

Lola I have pondered how to get a live in permit before all the details are finished. It just seems all those things, heat, water and electric will take plenty of time to get done as it is.

Frances the new wall I want to build is another short stone retaining wall in the garden that will be along the path out of the basement patio up to the garden acces road.

Gail said...

Christopher, it really is near the end. It looks cozy and inviting. I know you can't wait to have it completed so you can garden away. How wonderful to find a company with true customer service. That is so rare these days. gail

Commonweeder said...

This is such an exciting post. The Cozy Cabin looks beautiful from the outside and the insides will be equally so when you finish. These building projects sure do take time - especially when the plan is for beauty as well as utility.

Anonymous said...

Wow, you really have been doing a good job keeping that pole out of your photos - it's stickin' right out there, isn't it?? I think 3 yrs/3 mos is pretty dang good for a solo builder from scratch with some "supervision". (: We should all be thinking of a joint house-warming gift, from your faithful blog readers!!

bev

Les said...

Actually the end is not in sight, more like the beginning of your life there. Gardening without thought of space limitations, that would be something. I enjoyed the previous post with the mountain fall color. We had lots of color for our mt. adventure, though it was still a week or so early for peak.

Anonymous said...

Okay, now. Everyone needs to go back in time and look at where you were on October 15, 2007. It is amazing!
Sallysmom

Christopher C. NC said...

Gail it is getting close enough to taste it. I have even contemplated spending the night in the cabin. Yes it was so nice to talk to an American woman at the actual company who knew the product line and was in a happy mood.

Pat it could have gone faster for sure if I went cheap and wasn't worried about the end product. I have a feeling though that this could be it, even with plans for a second two bedroom house in the future.

Bev that's so sweet. My sister started estate sale shopping for me two years ago and my mom of course picks things out for Christmas and birthdays. The cabin isn't even done and stuff is accumulating. Never knew that hideous temporary pole was there did you?

Les I was thinking of you on my drive to the Soiree last Sunday, thinking Les will see some color for sure. This has been a very long beginning then.

Sallysmom I tried to guess where I was on October 15th 2007 and thought I would be working on the main floor. I see I had a few walls framed and laying of the floor deck by then. No front porch though.

Siria said...

Hi Christopher ~ I am catching up on posts after being gone for a few days and I am so happy for you as you see the "light at the end of the tunnel"! I looked back on your blog to see how long I have been following your progress and I believe I found you around April or May of 2008. Of course when I started reading your blog, I went back to the beginning of your blog and read back to the beginning of your arrival in North Carolina and the beginnings of the cozy cabin. It has been amazing to watch the progress unfold, day by day! Congratulation on an amazing job! I look forward to more stories of the finishing touches and your garden coming alive. Thanks for sharing with us!