Monday, October 18, 2010

My Blue Aster





After thinking about it a bit, I don't think I need to worry about the garden to be thinning the blue asters. There are more blue asters on this wild cultivated patch of ground than any place I get to in my travels. I have come to the conclusion that gardening has actually encouraged their numbers. I am doomed to be drowned in blue asters.

There are worse fates of horticulture.



Overhead it is fall.





The leaf peepers are cruising the scenic byway and it is hard to know which item causes them to slow to a near crawl in this section of byway. There's a cute little cabin now peaking through the trees, a gobsmacking Sheffie Mum, Uncle Ernie, the neighbor's red red Euonymus hedge and an old chimney to name a few items. Could be too they are lost and considering briefly asking the local with the pitchfork for directions. I really need to get me some bib overalls.



It's all part of the scenery, my blue aster,



While out in the roadside vegetable garden doing fall cleanup and adding a fresh layer of woodchip mulch. But they can't see my berry patch from the road.





I believe there will always be blue asters in the wild cultivated garden of eden.

8 comments:

Lola said...

Blue is good. I love the different colors of Fall & you have plenty.
Is that your apple tree? It seems to be doing good. Did the limb ever completely fall? How about the wild kitties!!!!
Uncle Ernie is doing good right on. He looks after all. Did you plant a Fall garden?
Even tho all seems to be slowing down it is a busy time of yr. My favorite.
Leaf peepers are probably seeing things they hadn't seen before.
You really should get you a pair of overhauls. lol That would be ever so neat.

Siria said...

No ... somehow I can't see you in overhauls. :)
Your hills are alive ~ just gorgeous!!!

Anonymous said...

Yes, pitchfork and overalls, and a beard! You would blend right in with the other folks. Maybe a corncob pipe? And tattered hat? Those blue asters are liking something that is going on there, for sure. :-)

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I am laughing at the thought of you standing there in coveralls with a pitchfork in you hand. Uncle Ernie would have some real competition. tee hee... It is no wonder that people slow to see all the beauty and interest that is around the cozy cabin.

Christopher C. NC said...

Lola that is one of five big apple trees and that big black locust tree is still stuck above it. The wild kitties are still here. The short haired one is letting me get closer before running. I have a few greens in the fall garden. Overalls would complete the picture for leaf peepers while I work in the garden.

Siria the colors are pretty intense now and all that blue aster here makes it even more incredible. I can see overalls at home, but not out at work.

Frances it would be so easy for me to slip into vernacular. I am bad enough about shaving now. I think the blue asters take advantage of the elimination of other competition.

Lisa they have those human statues in downtown Asheville. I could be the country version. My pitchfork is no fake prop. It is the tool of choice with mulch. This is the first stretch of road in a couple of twisty miles where the forest opens up and there is more distance viewing.

Benjamin Vogt said...

I've got that blue aster cultivar 'October Skies' in 5 places, and I like the color and late blooms. However, the insects don't prefer it nearly as much as 'purple dome' and tataricus. Gimme your asters, your fall leaves (ours turn either yellow or brown, or you wake up one day and BAM! no leaves). Gorgeous. I'm coming to visit.

Christopher C. NC said...

Benjamin now that you mention it I would agree that the insects do congregate a lot more on the other asters. And I'm telling you the Asheville area is ripe for a man of your talents. Gimme a holler when you come to visit. I'll give you a wild cultivated garden tour.

Barry said...

Please don't forget the bandanna! I want to congratulate you on creating a slice of paradise, NC-style. It's ... pono.