Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Fallish

For the first week of October the forest is still eerily green. Even when I look up to the top, higher than me, all I see is green. The recent deep chill has not slowed an intense wave of wildflowers from covering the ridgetop garden and beyond. The world is still in full bloom. I am bad about knowing when, but Fall color seems delayed to me this year.



Right now there are just hints.

My computer is back from the mechanics with a new hard drive and a repair reinstall of the Windows operating system. This is its test run. When I first turned it on it hinted at me by freezing up in the start up process. I shut off the power and started over. I have a bad feeling. Is the computer now going to be like the truck with a check engine light that won't go off?



I'm telling you I have been zapped by an electromagnetic pulse. My camera has been having bouts of strange behavior. Even my electric toothbrush won't stop brushing when directed until it is good and ready. The signs are all pointing to a new kind of life where everything is made out of wood and there are great big fields of potatoes.



The coming Fall cares for no man.



And I remain mostly, eerily calm.

Except now maybe I want to cry just a little because my computer just back from the mechanics is now Re-dead.

7 comments:

Lola said...

Yes, I think Fall is upon us. Even here it's supposed to get down to about 49ยบ tonight. It was quite cool this a.m. Son complained.
There does seem to be a delay of blooms being downed by mother earth by this time of yr there. I was trying to remember how things were when I was up there. I just enjoyed it too much.
Sorry about your puter, camera & that thingy that cleans the chompers. lol I had to laugh about that remark.

Benjamin Vogt said...

Send me you asters. I keep planting more and more. Thought I had enough, but 12 isn't enough. I bet I have more like 20. Lots of species. Lend me you asters? Trade you a laptop?

Les said...

I know one can never rush these things, but I was hoping to see some fall colors when we head up to the mountains this weekend for some camping. Maybe being further north might make a difference, but as my aunt would say "It'll be as nice as it can be".

Christopher C. NC said...

Lola the temperatures say Fall and your right, don't rush it, just enjoy. I sure hope this rash of electronic discombobulation ened soon.

Benjamin if you want asters Gmail me at the blog name with an address and I will send you plenty finished flower heads to sprinkle about or attempt more controlled germination. The monarchs do enjoy them while passing through.

Les the dogwoods are looking red that is about it. Sourwood which is normally one of the very first to turn, I've seen them red mid September, are still as green as can be. The morning lows will make you feel Fall and location is everything. Further north could be another story.

Anonymous said...

That is rubbish about your computer! Hope the repairman can give a refund or something along those lines. We had to get a new modem, courtesy of ATT, after a house call with a guy checking everything to see why our service was so slow when we pay for high speed dsl. It was the modem. He even turned out to be a woodoworker and showed my his site. Interesting fellow. Fall is late, the muhly is late, the sheffies are late. Everything is green except the dogwoods starting to turn. What does it all mean? :-)
Frances

Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

Maybe someone is sending you a message - become a Luddite. Fall is in full swing here in Chicagoland, so it can't be far off for your mountain. We even had a touch of frost.

Laurin said...

non sequitur:

saw your comment on "garden rant" this morning re: the "easy bloom" and wanted to send you an e-hug!

glad to find you have your own blog - i'll enjoy seeing what you have growing over here. cheers with a NC-born-and-bred, southern plow-to-pint FULLSTEAM beer! :D