Monday, October 11, 2010

Soiree At Kalamazoo

The Madison County Arts Council annual fundraiser, the Soiree At Kalamazoo was once again held in the garden of Pat Franklin. The day could not have been more perfect for a garden party.



Her Celosia spicata "Flamingo Feather' were in full bloom exactly like they were last year. The perfect duplication had me perplexed so I had to ask Pat a silly question. "Are these Celosia perennials?"

What, she said, you are speaking a foreign language to me. Perennial? Celosia? Is that what those are?

"Flamingo feather I think."

Yes that sounds familiar. They just seed like crazy. When they first come up in the spring I spray them and kill the whole bed off. There are so many seeds they come up again. That is how I get them to be in bloom for the Soiree.

"So then all you do is weed the bed?"

No they are too thick for weeds.

"Yes I'll take a sack of the free seeds home with me."



There's just something to be said for learning to enjoy the simple and easy things in life and gardening.



Music was performed this year by Balsam Range. It can't be said that I am a music buff. I am a bit deaf, worse so after 20 years with power garden tools and have never in my life really been able to hear base. Given a preference in my day to day wandering around life, I'll take silence over being plugged into to an iPod or listening to a radio.

But there was just no way to sit and pay attention to Balsam Range and not be moved by such fine music. Instruments like the fiddle, banjo, mandolin and pedal steel guitar are ones that I can hear. They penetrate deep inside my deafness. Go listen to some Balsam Range at Youtube. Enjoy.



They were joined in the second set by ten time grammy winner Bobby Hicks on the fiddle. The banjo player in Balsam Range has his own grammy and I hear tell there are more than a few grammys living in these hills.



The music even sparked some dancing. I think this is called clog dancing, a traditional form of dance in the Appalachians.



Now I did not catch his name, but I think he might be a bit known in these parts for his clogging. There were real photographers who posed him for a portrait earlier in the afternoon.



The crowd this year seemed much larger than last year's. The weathers were much more cooperative. It was a perfect day to goof off and enjoy. I even bid on and won a carved wooden Santa in the silent auction. Bulbarella also has a Christmas decoration obsession and a birthday next month. She got an early present.



The Soiree at Kalamazoo in the garden of Pat Franklin.

5 comments:

Siria said...

Hi Christopher! Looks like you had a great day!! I always thought celosia's were annuals, but those look fabulous en masse. Can't wait to see them blooming in your garden. :)

Christopher C. NC said...

Siria they looked great en masse and were about five feet tall. The whole bed was about 10 x 20.

Lola said...

Looks as tho you had a most enjoyable day.
The only celosia I've seen were never that tall. It did seem to be much better in masse, but that tall!
Wow.
I did listen to some of the music & it was glorious.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

...and a good time was had by all. Love that celosia.

Dig, Grow, Compost, Blog said...

How interesting to kill off a bed of plants just to have them bloom later! They're really pretty and seem like they would be perfect at your place.