Sunday, October 17, 2010

A Slow Walk In The Near Wilderness

But first I gathered up my new rocks and put them in a safe place. The finish grading may start tomorrow.



One of the denizens of the deep forest, a lycopodium maybe?



I walk the west or lower property line now and again because I don't really know where it is precisely. It will be my lower property line at some point. It is not easy to walk a straight line through a dense forest full of deadfall and stinging nettle on steep terrain. I do it anyway to familiarize myself with the general properties of the lower property line.

Today I noticed a new rock cairn on the property that backs up to us. There was a time when farming in these mountains reached many more of the high places than it does today. Did this some what rounded gigantic pile of stones have a purpose?



Next I am headed up there to have a look at Fall.



The Sheffie Mum in situ.



Getting higher.



A late blooming Ironweed.



There is still a lot of green out there. We have not reached peak.



But there is plenty color



Against a blue sky



On a most beautiful and warm fall day.



There is still a lot of life buzzing about while there is still time



In the near wilderness.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll take some of each of those! What beauty!!
Sallysmom

Siria said...

Hi Christopher! Your fall is gorgeous. It just needs to wait another few days ... for me :)

Lola said...

Oh my, Still plenty green but love those colors. Seems to be a lot of yellow.
A good start of rocks for that wall to be. More hard work in store.
That was a nice hike. One needs to familiarize ones self to what is around.Those walks are nice, you never know what you might find.
Treasures, for sure.

Carol Michel said...

We have pretty much reached peak here and are on the downward side of fall leaf color. I had a chance to walk through a woods yesterday. It has a beauty all its own. I brought back three rocks to put somewhere in my garden.

Anonymous said...

What an interesting stack of stones, Christopher! It looks like there is a little opening in the bottom for something to crawl in? The brilliant foliage against the even more brilliant blue sky makes for some fine viewing. I love the shot of yellow leaves and dark crooked outline of the tree limbs. And the art shot. :-)
Frances

thistleandthorn said...

My,my,my. What lovely photos. As usual. Can you tell us a little more about the last picture?

Christopher C. NC said...

T and T that last shot is done using the cartoon effect in Kodak photo editor. I do that sometimes when I'm in the mood or when I like the composition of a picture but it is a bit out of focus.