Friday, January 29, 2010

Disturbance

The warmer air, relatively clear skies and full moon preceding the expected big snow disturbed the winter routine and caused some sleep interruptions. A certain cat named Crawford who would normally scurry inside after a set period of exposure to the cold, determined theses were optimal varmint hunting conditions and refused to come in when called. I stayed up too late the previous night waiting for him to call it a night.

Last night Crawford was not given that option and we were all safely tucked in bed by nine. I was oddly wore out.



The diagnosis is still calling for a big one, up to a foot of snow, the heavy wet kind that caused such devastation last month, last year. To my horror I discovered there was not enough coffee to get me through a period of entrapment. Luckily there was still plenty of time to go to town and even make a trip to the dump to get rid of the rest of the drywall remnants.

With the remainder of the day the tongue and groove ceiling was begun. Using a temporary board above the rafters for placing the lower short boards worked out great. I should have left an inch of space between the floor boards of the mini loft and the ceiling beams, but didn't. Now I have to cut the tongue and groove ceiling boards to get around that obstacle. Once above that it will be smooth sailing.



Today the lower portions of a ceiling will take form while waiting for the next big snow to arrive.



And while I still have power. Knock on wood.

4 comments:

Lola said...

Oh, I do hope Crawford stays home.
The ceiling is looking good. Can't wait to see it.
Sure hope that you don't get a lot of the white stuff this go round. By all means make sure you have plenty goodies & coffee.
Love that sky pic.
Stay warm, take it easy.

Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

I hope your power hold out. Snowstorms are a great time for getting work done inside the house. That is, until it's time to get out there and shovel.
BTW - I posted a couple shots of my Snowdrops.

Anonymous said...

Over five inches here already. The biggest snow in ten years. And will continue overnight and through tomorrow. Amazing. Hope your power stays on! And Crawford stays in.
Frances

sweetbay said...

I'd be horrified if I ran out of coffee too. Here's hoping your power stays on!