Friday, January 15, 2010

No Bloom For You Day

I looked in some of the most likely places. I looked where last year there was indeed the very first bloom of the new year. It was still covered in snow even after two full days of fairly vigorous melt. Maybe I did not look hard enough, but I did not feel like putting on my boots and tramping through wet snow in a futile search for flowers that know better than to try and push their way through a cold crusty layer of month old snow. Maybe next week the crocus and snowdrops will make an appearance. The daffodils may decide to start pushing up some leaves once all that snow is gone. There is actual warmth in the air.

For now there will be no blooms for you.



Unless I look else where. There is a place I have heard of, a place of May Dreams, where the sun is warm, the sky is blue, the grass is green, and the garden is all new and blooming again! Surely there will be blooms out there somewhere.



And after I had given up the half hearted search, the blooms began to appear. I live in the house that gardeners built. No real gardener would have a house without some kind of flower decor inside. Maybe even plenty of flower inspired decor inside. You really can have flowers every month of the year.



Right down to the new the Van Gogh mouse pad.

11 comments:

Lola said...

I agree blooms can be had inside in the dead of winter even if they aren't real. I think it could have the same effect.
Good that you are having some sun.

chuck b. said...

Happy Bloom Day anyway!

Carol Michel said...

We had a bit of a thaw, too, but no blooms outside here, either. And I foolishly looked, twice.

Love your indoor blooms!

Annie in Austin said...

It seems you can not only have flowers in mid-January but hummingbirds, too, Christopher... Happy Blooming Day!

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

Anonymous said...

Way to go, Christopher! Those blooms you show would bring a smile to any gardener! The ground is still frozen solid here, even with the warmth of the air. Maybe warm rains will do the trick. I want to dig!
Frances

Les said...

At this time of year you have to take your blooms where you find them, even on mouse pads.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Love that stained glass and of course VanGough is wonderful in any form. Happy GBBD anyway or should I say despite the weather.

Caroline said...

That stained glass hummingbird is to die for. Lovely!

Anonymous said...

How about the "snow on the spirea" pic from last Sunday? (I don't know what qualifies for Bloom Day, but it *was* from your garden.)

Julie in Henderson Co.

Dreamybee said...

Love your indoor blooms. I don't blame you one bit for not wanting to tromp around outside in the cold and wet.

lisa said...

I think the artwork is beautiful! Definatley better than no blooms for you :) Are there any witch hazel in the woods? Maybe they're blooming, unless they do it in fall like mine does.