Thursday, January 7, 2010

Snow Pack

Last year I counted the days it would take the snow to melt. This year I count the weeks. Uncle Ernie has been standing in snow since December 18th. A new layer of sleety snow is currently being added.

My mail carrier told me this is what winter used to be like when she was growing up here. I will guesstimate that to be in the 1950's. I suppose you are bound to have a more normal winter every once in a while.



It warmed enough in the respite between snows, a sunny high of 30 yesterday and today's cloudy high of 27, to release the frozen grip on the shower drain and the kitchen sink faucets. Minus the leaking ice maker that is attached to the cold water line in the bathroom sink, I have a fully functioning water system. Another Arctic blast of cold will be here in the morning.



Next week it is supposed to get warmer with highs in the mid forties, the new winter normal I hope. Perhaps it will be enough to melt all the snow. January means it is time for the snowdrops. I won't be able to see them if they are buried in a foot of snow.

5 comments:

chuck b. said...

"My mail carrier told me this is what winter used to be like when she was growing up here. I will guesstimate that to be in the 1950's. I suppose you are bound to have a more normal winter every once in a while."

Statisticians call it regression to the mean. I got an A in statistics!

Lola said...

Hi Christopher, so glad all is cooperating for you. Nothing can beat having all run smoothly.
Glad you got the right tool for the job. We'll see how it works after the next big dump. lol
From what I've herd this winter is surely different than most. More snow & cold temps than has been in past few yrs.
How many inches total have you gotten so far this winter?

Les said...

It may be what winter used to be like, but I'm not feeling nostalgic and I'd bet you aren't as well.

Anonymous said...

Tony Avent from Plant Delights claims in his newsletter that we are entering a 15 year cool cycle following a 15 year warm cycle. If he is right (and I have no clue on that), then we may be in for more weather resembling our childhoods. I also remember more snow in the 50's....

bev

Anonymous said...

oh, Bev's comment is scary. Goodbye to overwintering dahlias? Boohoo. We only got a tiny bit of snow here, barely a quarter of an inch, but it is slippery and very cold with a strong wind blowing. Schools and many offices are closed and The Financier is home, thank goodness. Next week does sound promising. Chuck is so funny! :-)
Frances