Monday, January 11, 2010

A Long Mega Cold

How long has it been really really cold, like below freezing day and night, day after day?

About twenty four inches.



That erotic looking column of ice has been created by the slow continuous single drip emanating from the furnace's combustion exhaust. A faint remnant of water is formed and ejected through this exhaust while normally most of the water is directed to a separate exhaust line, the small half inch pipe at a diagonal above the ice sculpture.

The furnace does not work when it has water backed up on its lungs. That tiny pipe froze up long ago and the water exhaust is now being collected in a pot inside the unheated basement closet and tossed out the basement door.

Where a clear glass glacier is now forming.



The promised sunny forty degree day was a no show. There was even a new layer of snow at Client #1's. Under moody grey skies it did not get above freezing down there either. There was no sign of the tiniest bit of melting. I worked a couple of hours cleaning up the broken branches, crushed rhododendrons and a fallen tree until a wholly new and strange back pain in my ribs made me stop before I ended up in a crumpled knotted ball writhing on the ground.



I made a lot of progress, but did not quite finish which makes me a little crazy. Oh well. The entire neighborhood still looks like a hurricane just went through. All over just enough cleaning has been done to get the power back on and the roads back open. It is still a giant mess out there from the Big Dump of '09' on December 18th.

And the next round of snow has begun.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, it sounds to me like North Carolina is the new Alaska. I hope all your plants survive.

Christopher C. NC said...

Grace it will be interesting to see what if any effect this major long cold spell has on things. Last couple of years by this time I would be seeing the first signs of crocus and daffodils.

Phrago said...

Chris, is it normal, in a cyclical way, you know every 10 or 15 years, to have a Winter like this one in the mountains where you now live? It seems like this type of weather might be unusual but I suspect that you'd get a cold nasty Winter every few years, just like we do in Michigan. Anyway, stay warm,stay safe... Patrick

Christopher C. NC said...

Patrick I think it is safe to say this is not an abnormal winter. My mail lady said this is what winter was like when she was growing up. Mrs. Client #1 looked at me today with major concern and swore winter is not normally like this. I said I had been hearing otherwise and she said yes but that was a long time ago.

First year I was here they were in drought. This year has been a major monsoon. I am beginning to think extreme is the new normal.

Lola said...

It does sound like some winters of past have come this way again. My most vivid memory is of 1950. Very deep snow & very cold.
Imagine a small 2 room/1 side room home with only a fireplace/wooden stove in from of fireplace just trying to keep that home warm. Not easy. 4 children & a mother.
Do stay warm & be careful. Watch that strange pain.

thistleandthorn said...

I think you nailed it. Extreme is the new normal.

chuck b. said...

Be careful working in freezing cold. That's not normal for humans.

lisa said...

You are brave to brave the cold, sounds like a hot tub is in order! :)