Tuesday, January 19, 2010

The Time Of Mud

It is appropriate that in a time of mud from melting snow, the mudding of the drywall has begun. My driveway can be particularly onerous during this phase of the melt. My well drained soil is not when the ground is not fully thawed. The driveway can turn into a sticky, slippery and oozing trail of mud perched on top of the still cold ground.

This phase will pass and a warming ground and warming cabin walls are sending up new life.



The texture I want is called a knockdown. It is the top left picture on this page of drywall textures. It's a bit like the texture of the lichen on rocks round here. Maybe I could paint the walls to look like lichens. Not that lime green color though. There are some nice grey green and charcoal lichen colors I could try to match. I could take a swatch of lichen to the paint store.



A very short stroll through the ridge top garden revealed the bulbs have been chomping at the bit to come up. The next couple of weeks should see a dramatic change. And when there is a dramatic change in the cabin walls I will show you a picture. Things just got started today.



Ah, spring is in the air. But I will not be fooled. It is still January. Several more snows are bound to fall before it is time to plant the roadside vegetable garden. And there is a two week trip to Maui before the real time of spring arrives to the high Carolinas.



There is also still much work to do before the cozy cabin becomes a home. The spinning wheel of life has just signaled another corner has been turned.

6 comments:

Siria said...

Those blooms look so vibrant and strong. Can't wait to see them flower. And I also can't wait to see the progress of the dry wall finishing. I love the knock down finish.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

My eyes got stuck on Maui. Two weeks on Maui would do me a world of good right now too. Lichen colors for the walls sounds marvelous. You could have red accents like the British Soldier moss and of course black.

Lola said...

Blooms will shortly give you much pleasure.
I'm glad the mudding has started. Will be anxious to see the results.
Maui sounds like heaven. Always wanted to go & see if the flowers were that pretty.

Anonymous said...

All good, except for the mud outside part. That knockdown already has the texture of lichen, a more grey version of it would be like being outside, cool!
Frances

Anonymous said...

Christopher; speaking of spring, I just saw a photo of Rhus aromatica 'Gro-lo' as a groundcover on a rocky slope in Connecticut. It reminded me of your slope(s). I have not seen this plant in the flesh but it sure looked pretty in the picture! (Jan/Feb issue of "American Gardener")
I like your lichen drywall idea. I get it about the hiding the imperfections part.

bev

lisa said...

Signs of life! I feel warm just looking at those bulbs popping up, although I've been wishing for more snow around here. I just never get tired of your beautiful skyline...beats a city skyline ANY time!