Saturday, January 15, 2011

A Bloom Day Promise

There's a foot and a half of heavy packed snow on the ground. Anything potentially able to bloom at this time of year like snow drops or the beginnings of helleborus are buried. Right now the best I can do is wait for the Bloom Days to come.

There is hope and it can be found in the big fat flower buds of the rhododendrons that dot the ridge top garden from one end to the other. Rhododendrons set their flower buds at the end of the summer growing season. You can tell now if it will be a good rhododendron year by seeing how many buds are on the shrubs. At least I could tell if I was willing to walk through all that snow and have a look.


























But I've been spending so much time as a human snow plow of late, walking through more deep heavy snow is of limited appeal. I need to get ready for a truck full of appliances to drive down to the cozy cabin mid-week so I spent a few hours shoveling.




















When I got tired of shoveling - I can shovel more tomorrow - it was pleasant enough outside to actually get some wood working done. Beams for the peak of the ceiling were cut to length. Spacer boards were cut, stained and nailed into place for covering the plumbing vent pipe in the bathroom. Boards were cut for a frame to raise the cabinet that will sit next to the stove up off the floor. The kitchen itself was emptied and cleaned in preparation for the arrival of appliances.


























I have plans for the Bloom Days of May "when the sun is warm, the sky is blue, the grass is green, and the garden is all new again!" By then the cozy cabin will be done. I will be moved in and it will be time to have a garden warming party. I'll be doing another open house garden tour for the rhododendron show and can show off the finished cabin at the same time.

I'm going to call it a garden warming so people won't bring me any stuff for a house warming. I have no closets. I have no shed, yet. I have little room for stuff.




















I will have a beautiful new home and a mountain top covered in rhododendrons and hundreds and hundreds of spring blooming perennials in a wild cultivated garden that needs to be shared. That promise will get me through the snow days yet to come. And before the rhododendrons bloom I have to get through the Bulbapaloozathon. I think I'll make it.

13 comments:

Dreamybee said...

Oooh, can't wait to see all the rhododendrons in bloom! 'til then, stay safe and warm out there.

Anonymous said...

I can't wait for the Bulbapaloozathon. I won't be able to be there in person, but I know you will share it with lots of images.
Sallysmom

Randy Emmitt said...

Christopher,
Hang in there! Looks like the rhododendrons are going to have a great year. Mine is covered in bud, a few years ago it barely bloomed.

Darla said...

My, my, my that's a lot of shoveling you have been doing...stay warm!

Cindy, MCOK said...

Christopher, after all that snow you've had, I'm surprised you're able to be out working on the cabin. I look forward to your pictures of the rhodies in bloom.

weather said...

weather forecast from Global forecast system

snow rain maps

Anonymous said...

Sounds like an enterprising adventure with the cabin and gardens. I love Rhodies and miss the wild ones in PA. Here, they look pitiful in winter and so many get pulled out for that reason alone.

Lola said...

Happy for you that you did all that shoveling to get your delivery made. I like the rhodies, think they are pretty & will be happy to see their pics. Can't wait to see the kitchen finished.
Good to call it a Garden Warming. That will be great.
Take care, stay warm.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

You have so much to look forward to Christopher. I hope your back holds up to all that shoveling. Sheesh. Happy GBBD.

Anonymous said...

What a great idea; a Garden Warming! And what a time of year to have it! That prospect should help you get through the rest of the dog days of winter.

bev

Les said...

I anxiously await a Bloom Day sometime in the near future when your mountainside is colored with something other than white.

Siria said...

I remember coming for a garden tour a few years ago and rhodos were in bloom. Driving down the scenic highway I knew exactly where your place was from afar ... what a gorgeous site! I hope my baby rhodos bloom think year. I might have to add a few more. :)

Gail said...

Christopher, you have the perfect setting to test/review one of those snow blowers that several bloggers have shared. The Cozy Cabin looks wonderful! gail