Friday, January 7, 2011

The Fine Print

The diagnosis said two to four inches. When I woke up there may have been a half inch of new snow and not much really going on. It changed quickly. All of a sudden it was pouring snow.

It now seemed like a good day to tidy a bit around the house. Books got boxed up for moving. Papers were sorted and tossed. Seeds were organized for sowing.

And it was still pouring snow.




















There was tidying I could do in the cabin, so I wandered down there through the pouring snow. Boxes of books already there could be placed in the mini loft library. All the other construction items up there could be moved out. Dishes, pots and pans, silverware and storage containers can actually go in the kitchen cabinets to make more space. Stuff is accumulating quickly.


























Snow doesn't fall so much as it floats. Even with a covered porch, the amount of snow that finds its way there was going to prevent any work on the beams for the peak of the ceiling. I tidied and made a plan for what will be needed to cover the plumbing vent pipe that is fastened to a beam in the bathroom as it makes it way across the room and up through the roof. It will be easier than I thought once I can get to some lumber currently buried in snow.


























The diagnosis said two to four inches of snow for Clyde proper. For today. That should mean about twice that amount for me. It was still pouring snow and the six inch mark looked to have been reached by mid afternoon.




















The diagnosis said two to four inches for today. I always get more than the diagnosis. I live in the snow belt in the high elevations along the Tennessee border. The diagnosis also shows snow as far out as the diagnosis extends. There's no sun and warm in there at all. I see double shoveling in my future if some kitchen appliances are to be delivered to the cozy cabin.




















When the scenic byway starts to disappear I know things must be bad out there. That means the plow is busy elsewhere. If it's just snowing up top the plow will come by a lot more often.




















So exactly how much snow will I have to shovel to get appliances? Let's see, Winter Storm Warning. I'll click on that and read the fine print.

" UP TO A FOOT IS EXPECTED IN THE HIGHER ELEVATIONS ALONG THE TENNESSEE BORDER."

That means I can expect more if it's not going to stop snowing until, let's see, next Wednesday!!

The resident gardeners house could get scary tidy. I wonder if you can get baked goods and sugary treats delivered?

7 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I hope you don't get snowed in Christopher. It sounds like you are making good use of your time though. Beautiful scenery the snow makes.

Karen said...

And not a thing this evening in Greensboro except a little bit of rain. However, the local newscasts tonight said to prepare for Snowmaggadon on Monday afternoon. I'd make a bet that it wouldn't happen, but then Christmas weekend took all of us by surprise.

Christopher C. NC said...

Lisa I am already snowed in. My little truck don't drive in snow. There is quite a list of items that can be done in the resident gardeners house.

Karen Monday is when the next big wave arrives here. There might be slight opening in the snow on Sunday. It's like I get lake effect snow here without the lake.

Siria said...

Hi Christopher! Do you get mail delivery up there when it's snowing this bad? I'll make you some baked goods and mail them if you do. I wouldn't want you to be stuck up there with no baked good...not a good thing! :)

Lola said...

My that is a lot of snow. I sure hope you can get your little truck out without too much shoveling. Hopefully it will warm up enough for your appliance delivery.
Do take care & stay warm.

Anonymous said...

Your snow photos of the last several posts are beautiful. Does your truck function at all with weight in back and old fashioned chains? We have a pickup so I know they are not generally good w/o 4WD. But as you say there is plenty to do! What about the wild kitty(ies)?

bev

Christopher C. NC said...

Siria my mail carrier is a real trooper and gets around no problem in her two different jeeps. I do shovel the snow plow pile away from the mailbox once I figured out it was expected if I wanted mail.

Lola the appliances are tentatively scheduled for a week from tomorrow. I told them to call first.

Bev I looked into a big water bag that sits in the bed of the truck when I first moved here, but it didn't seem necessary. The road is usually fine a day after the snow stops and it has a chance to melt then dry. My light truck is horrible in the snow. I doubt chains would help much. Luckily I can wait it out.