Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Let The Shoveling Begin

The babies are feeling a bit confined in the narrow path carved through the deep snow. The babies don't walk through deep snow. Is this all you have shoveled so far?


























The world is not right. The snow just keeps coming and my shoveling strategy is confused about when might be the best time to avoid repetition.





















There's a hole in the icy crystalline fog. There's a hole in the falling snow.





















Let the shoveling begin.





















Deep, compacted, warmed by an intermittent sun and heavy, shoveling is already a two step, two scoop process of repetition.


























And the diagnosis says I could get another six inches plus tomorrow. What's been done may need to be repeated, hopefully with lighter, fluffier snow.




















But why wait until tomorrow, the winter storm for elevations above 3500 feet, that would include me, has already begun with a brisk to howling wind and plummeting degrees. The snow has begun to fall.

Maybe I will be able to escape on Friday... or Saturday. If I keep shoveling.

5 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Poor Babies (including you). We had a touch of snow compared to yours today. I think we got a good 4". It got warm enough to melt a little then the wind started howling and froze it all. Everyone that sallied forth to work on crunchy snow were creeping home tonight. I got my baby out this a.m. when it was toasty warm. I don't know what we will do tomorrow when the prognosis is a mere 22F with howling winds. Luna doesn't mind this but I do.

Randy Emmitt said...

Christopher,

What a lot of hard work! Be careful out there!

Talked to my neighbor today he talked of the winter of 1993-1994 when Grandfather Mtn got 51 inches of snow. You might be getting close if these 6 inch snow falls keep up.

We got about an inch last night.

Christopher C. NC said...

Poor babies indeed Lisa. It has been so cold and blizzardy they now prefer using the indoor litter box they were trained to use over Christmas. Their outdoor time lasts at most five minutes before they give up.

Randy I think I will pass Grandfather Mountain shortly. Got 10 in early December. 18 at least at Christmas. 19 in this last round. That's 47 and I know I've left some minor snows out. This round will top 51 or was that 51 in one storm?

Siria said...

Hi Christopher! You must really be getting cabin fever. That is one long driveway! Be careful so you don't hurt your back.

Does Ray's Weather or someone up there keep track of the inches of snowfall each year? That would be very interesting to know. I would think this year and last were anomalies!

Lola said...

I don't blame the babies for not staying out long. The box is much warmer.
Do be careful with that shoveling. It could cause problems farther down the road {no pun intended}.
Hard freeze here next couple days.