Sunday, January 9, 2011

The Sun Came Out

And the cozy cabin was still there after enduring another Siberolinan blast. It was even a comfortable 58 degrees inside after a morning low of four. Pretty amazing what a tiny electric heater and excellent insulation can accomplish. The solar assist probably helped a bit too.




















I couldn't help myself. I shoveled a path from the resident gardeners house down to the cozy cabin. Trudging through foot deep snow in crummy boots leaves a bit to be desired and for some strange reason I would rather shovel snow outside in the sun than do house work.

A nice collection of wine bottles for edging the bed beside the cabin came back from Florida in the treasure chest. When the ground thaws they can be planted.




















Miscanthus sinensis 'Snow Bound' is hanging in there. With each crushing blast it is looking more battered. The next big one lurks on the radar just south and west of the borders.




















The more things that get squashed to the ground over the winter the less clipping I will have to do in the spring for a clean slate. And by clean slate I mean anything not parallel to the ground. Right now in the sunlight and fresh snow it is still some what charming. When the world turns green once more I like to have all that brown swallowed up as quickly as possible. Laying it flat makes that happen sooner. Basically I hand mow things with hedge clippers.




















Lisa, here's some sastrugi for you, ready to break. Hang ten! I got more sastrugi then you can shake a shovel at. It's gonna be even bigger by the end of the day tomorrow.




















I'm supposed to try and get some sun to prevent that seasonal affective disorder. Getting outside helps ease the stir crazies too. Still there is a tided section of shelves in the basement storage room and the books for my tragic under-employment were totaled out for 2009 and 2010. It's hard to get excited about taxes when you don't owe any money, in theory.


























A long path of a little shoveling, I'm not that crazy, a little sun light on the face, the only flesh that could be exposed and it's time to meander back to the house on the scenic byway, momentarily looking road like with black top.


























It's time to hunker down for the next Siberolina.

6 comments:

Siria said...

Oh my! You have a ton of snow up there and more to come. I can't believe I forgot to save the wine bottles consumed over Christmas for you. I already took them to be recyled. Oh well...I'll have to save some between now and when it warms up. Stay warm and safe!

Your pictures are beautiful! I love the one of the cozy cabin in the snow.

Christopher C. NC said...

Siria I could get another foot of snow on top of the foot on the ground. I'm having a feeling that since the entire south is getting smacked, Lowes won't be calling on the 15th saying my appliances are ready to be delivered. Means I can pace my shoveling.

Carol Michel said...

The sun came out here for awhile, too, but with only an inch or so of snow on the ground, I could think of no reason to go outside in these frigid temps. We should be getting more snow late Monday/early Tuesday. Oh, joy. Is it spring yet?

Lola said...

Oh my what a lot of snow. Even tho it looks pretty I know it's difficult to move around to accomplish what we must.
My heart quickened when I saw the 6th pic. I've never noticed the fence post with the barbed wire before. I guess there was always to much green or tree trunks.
I hope there isn't as much coming as they said.
Looks as tho you may have nearly enough bottles to do the job.
Take care & stay warm.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Christopher it appears that you went from hanging ten in Hawaii to burying ten in Clyde. Thanks for the glimpse of the sastrugi on your property. Such an elegant word for nature's artfully arranged snow. Ole man winter must miss the ocean since he recreates waves inland. Try to stay warm.

Cindy, MCOK said...

It's deceptively beautiful, Christopher. My friend down the mountain in Asheville proper said her neighborhood is snowed in, too.