Thursday, January 10, 2013

Evergreens Ever-red

I keep checking and the evergreen dogwood still has leaves. It looks slightly more piqued each time I look. I'll take that as normal for a tree that will shed it leaves first thing in the spring as the new growth comes out. It should actually be in its dormant state with the aging leaves preparing to go.



























The baby Foster Hollies did grow about a foot this year. I am hoping for more next year. These are columnar trees, much taller than wider and one of the few hollies that do not need a male pollinator to make berries. Hollies are not recommended for my elevation and I am at the edge their zone. I have been officially classified as a zone 6 and the hollies are rated to that, but I will always have to err on the side of a weak 6.



























The evergreen Obsession™ nandina has taken on a brilliant red winter color. That makes it tempting to get some more. You can always use more color in the winter landscape. I got bored with nandina for a while. It may have something to do with all the new super dwarf ones I see all over. They are so compact they have zero character. Obsession™ is a dwarf compared to the species in the four foot range with a more open habit I hope.



























You can always use more color in the winter landscape. Let there be more blue.





















I decided to paint my other lattice in the basement patio the same Waterloo blue as the doors to bring that color downstairs. This is directly below the service entrance. Nothing wrong with another pop of color in the garden. I'm not sure how well Waterloo flows with the Frosted Spruce of the ceiling. It doesn't clash, but does it flow?





















The main beam of the front porch was finished today. At 62 degrees we were well into the operating temperature of paint.





















At one time I didn't think I could get away with painting a cozy cabin in the wilderness bright colors like you are seeing on houses in high density urban areas. Look what happened. Not only does the cozy cabin make a bold color statement, many of the evergreen shrubberies I have been choosing will add to the strong color in the winter time roadside viewing season. Yes I can use some more ever-red shrubberies.





















If only these two could successfully long nap between 1 to 6am. No, they want to nap in the middle of the day and underfoot while I'm painting. At least they flow color wise with the body of the cozy cabin.


5 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

You need two supervisors. I like color. I think it looks great. That pale blue on the ceiling is a neutral. At least in the photo it is. I wouldn't even think about it and go ahead. I like that red nandina. I might have to get one.

Christopher C. NC said...

Lisa, Miss Dinah in particular takes her supervising duties very seriously. I'll finish it blue. It's only paint. I can change my mind if need be.

I planted all kinds of nandina for two clients this year and dug and tossed a bunch for a third. One had to have the super dwarfs. Ick! For the second I got my preferred medium dwarfs.

Lola said...

Oh the colors look great together. To my eyes it flows like an artist brush. I do like the red in fall of the Nandinas. The kitties look very comfortable.

Lola said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cheryl K. said...

Lisa at Greebow is right - the ceiling color is a neutral backdrop like the blue sky: it goes with everything. The electric blue adds character to the whole. Flow will be determined as the entire scene fills in.

The supervisors wonder why you don't understand how much fun it is to operate in those early morning hours. They'll accept your strange routine eventually.