Sunday, January 6, 2013

Some Paint Some Rubbish

The wintry mix was a no show. We seem to be on track for another winter that wasn't. That means I am still actually doing work kind work quite a bit. There is always something that can be done in a southern garden even in winter. I'll be headed to work in the morning.

That also means it is best not to procrastinate if I want to get my winter projects done before the client's spring gardening onslaught arrives. Well past midday the operating temperature of paint began to take hold. I broke out the paint and got started. The temperature began to plummet quickly within the next hour. Then I got too cold to paint anymore.

The painting of the main girder of the front porch roof was begun. At some point I wasn't sure what color it would be painted. Maybe it was supposed to be the same blue as the door? All the careful effort not to get any red paint on the main beam when the rafters were painted was for naught. At least now I don't have to worry about getting blue paint on the rafters.

There are scary high temperatures in the mid sixties in the diagnosis for next weekend, well above the operating temperature of paint. I should be able to finish this little process then.





















In the cold fog of a late morning I went out to pick up all my own sticks. I have a nice little pile of rubbish to burn. I will have a good supply of branches and sticks to burn for the rest of my days. It makes me think I should use this resource to make my own terra preta ....... just what I need, another process to tend to. I have accumulating mounds of untended to horse dung already.





















I keep doing. Things get done. I don't ever seem to be finished. There are a number of other large projects I have envisioned for Ku'ulei A'ina; a new fence along the scenic byway, a gated entrance, a tea house perched above the babbling brook and a fancy garden shed. I keep digging up rocks and think there will be another heiau in my future.

I will have enough processes to last me for the rest of my days.

6 comments:

beverly said...

I will have enough processes to last me for the rest of my days.

Well, that's the whole point, isn't it?? (:

Christopher C. NC said...

Bev I am beginning to think there is no way around it.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

It is a good thing to be needed.

Christopher C. NC said...

Lisa it is a good thing to have more paying work in the winter than I expected. That is for sure.

Lola said...

It's good you have plenty to do. It's fantastic to be needed & wanted. It makes life worth living.

Barry said...

Hmmm, dump the road apples on the sticks and call it huglkultur or whatever. Easier by far than to try making biochar.