Wednesday, January 30, 2013

The Wire Railing

Dinah insists on helping more than I would like. But it rained all day. They weren't going outside, no way. I got busy on the wire railing for the mini-loft library.





















The entry posts were stained and the wire hooks screwed in.



















There you have it, the wire railing.





















I like it except maybe the posts don't seem quite right. Too wimpy. Finding an untreated piece of wood to use for a post was a challenge. The right post is out of plumb by about half to 3/4 of an inch. It was screwed in un-plumb. I didn't put enough tension in the wire to pull it out of plumb. That may get fixed. But there is a time to stop and step away before you mess up.





















If I should find something better for posts, they will be easy enough to change out. For now, the next step is a medium sized bean bag chair.

8 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I am glad to know you will have a chair to read in. Every library should have one. The wire railing is nice. I think you will like it better when all is plumb. Maybe you will find some interesting metal posts to use. That would look way cool. Your artsy friends might be of help with that.

Sallysmom said...

Looking good. I wish I had your talent. You must have got this from your dad.

Christopher C. NC said...

Lisa depending on how much snow we get tonight, I'll be picking up my bifold closet doors tomorrow and shopping for a bean bag chair. Maybe the chair will distract from the crooked post.

Sallysmom I got my stubborn determination from my father that's for sure.

beverly said...

I really like the wire! What about newel (sp?) posts for the posts? Don't know if you have a Home Depot in your area but they sell them. You are so industrious; I find it hard to get off my butt and get going......

Heaven Scent said...

Hi Christopher!
Love your wire railing! Good luck finding a chair in Waynesville - they have such a selection you know.... Why don't you shop online for a beanbag chair? You will certainly have way more options. Hope you stay safe and dry!
Siria

Christopher C. NC said...

Bev I looked in the stairs department for a newel. They didn't have much selection. I did think of trying the Depot in Asheville and still can. Yes getting started is often the hardest part.

Siria I did look online for a bean bag chair and that is still an option. I just want to see the color in person and sit it in first if I can. There are more options in Asheville if Waynesville doesn't work.

Barry said...

Far be it for me to suggest anything artistic, but how about a steel post with the cable threaded in one long strand from drilled holes in the pipe to the eyebolts, using a single tensioning bolt at the lower corner eyebolt to make it taut? Square steel pipe or a split wood post to rout out a cable path, then gluing it together with internal dowels for added strength? Easy to dream...

Lola said...

Saw a cute chair at Wally World. It's plastic. 60 big ones. Don't know what is inside. Gd said it was comfortable. Different colors.