Saturday, February 1, 2014

A Reprieve

It was a beautiful sunny day that hit sixty degrees. How long will this last? Not long according to the diagnosis. There appears to be a lot of rain in the near future. The steady wind all day may be an indication of that.

The melt was on today though, so I got busy chopping, where things melt first.





















The ridge top garden really is the top. You have to cross Spring Creek valley to get to the next, much higher top over, Sandy Mush Bald. The bulk of the ridge top garden faces south and west. This is the first place the snow melts.

I haven't seen any daffodils yet, but they will begin to pop up soon. Now is the time to do the chop and drop of the remaining dried stalks of the herbaceous perennials when I don't have to worry about stomping on the daffodils. I got about two thirds of it done. I may be able to get the rest done tomorrow before the rains come.





















The snowdrops were still there when the snow receded. I haven't seen very many other snowdrops though.





















After two and a half hours of chopping I needed a break and came back home. After all this sitting I have to ease my way back into marathon gardening. Refreshed, I did a bit more chop and drop on my own south west facing slope behind the cozy cabin.





















I'll keep at it when the weathers cooperate. By the time spring arrives I want to be able to concentrate on editing.

1 comment:

Lola said...

Seems lots got done in the heat. Felt colder here than it was there.