Thursday, February 20, 2014

The Prelude

All it takes is a touch of spring and the garden begins to stir. I have snowdrops now. There are hundreds next door. I'll go visit them on Saturday.

All it takes is a touch of spring and the gardener begins to stir. I've been work working three whole days in a row. That is why hundreds of snowdrops can wait until Saturday.





















It helps that the gardener knows what to plant for the earliest stirrings of spring. I'm liking my not 'Diane' now that it is in full bloom. My guess is an 'Arnold's Promise' got mislabeled. The other option is 'Primavera'. It's just nice to have a prelude to the great stirring that is about to begin.



























The little baby Oconee Bell, a gift from a garden visitor looks like it has set some flower buds. Those tiny red buds in the center look like flower buds to me. This rare native woodland plant survived the winter just fine. It is an early spring bloomer. After that it needs to spread. I have seen dense groundcover mats of it when it is happy.





















Out there in the barren, the prelude to spring has begun. More crocus are up. I saw the tips of the first daffodils. My wild lawn is turning green.


5 comments:

Danna said...

Your "not Diane" is still quite lovely. Yellow is very cheerful.
Can't wait to see your masses of daffodils. Go Spring!!!

Lola said...

Yes, go Spring. Rained hard here today. Warm out.

Christopher C. NC said...

Danna I certainly won't kick my not 'Diane' out of the garden. The daffodils usually peak around April 1st. The early ones start in March.

Lola I got that rain in the middle of the night. Yea, Go Spring. Except winter is returning next week.

Lola said...

Bummer on the return of winter next yr.

Lola said...

Not yr but next week. lol