Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Timber

There was a lingering hole in the weather when I got home, if you want to call 38 degrees and low suspicious clouds a break in the weather. I decided to ignore the cold, the breeze and my fear. I got busy.

All the trees in the forest up here have this bad habit of growing taller. Some of them had started to impinge on The View.
 




















Timber! I did a little chop and drop on four trees below Bulbarella's house. Two of them were mighty big trees and I only have a small chainsaw. That's why I was afraid. I chickened out on the last tree that needed to come down on the right side of The View. It was even bigger and tangled up in a rhododendron thicket. It can wait. The View is mo betta now.





















I was in chainsaw mode so I kept going. This maple tree had died for some reason.



























I wasn't interested in looking at such a prominent dead tree during the time of vegetation. Be gone. We have enough dead hemlocks around here.



























Someone had been fussing at me for a while to put some logs around the car turn around space to prevent anyone from falling off the side of the mountain. Done. Why waste a perfectly good dead tree?





















I was still in chainsaw mode so I kept going. My wood burning neighbor had left dozens of two foot tall stumps in the garden becoming when he came and got all his firewood. Those stumps have annoyed me ever since.





















I cut about twenty stumps closer to the ground. Meanwhile the temperature had dropped to freezing. It was getting late and starting to spit snow. Twenty will do for now. I'll check tomorrow and see if there are any more to cut.





















The varmints came out to have a look. They were none to happy with the impending cold.





















The garden is indeed becoming, a bit more civilized with each improvement and annoyance removed. And I have been making great progress on my list of winter chores when there are holes in the weathers.


6 comments:

Lola said...

The view is better. sure like the drop of stumps. Poor babies don't like the cold.
A good DVD to watch is Moving Art; Forest. Pics are awesome & the music is great. Filmmaker Louie Schwartzberg journey to the Redwood Coast & Olympic National Park.

Christopher C. NC said...

Lola the stumps in my garden were more annoying than the tree getting into The View. Poor kitties. It kept getting colder and snowing harder. They weren't outside for long.

Cheryl K. said...

If only those varmints had a better work ethic, they could be helping with the garden becoming and would not be so cold. Mine are equally slackers when it comes to chores.

Robin said...

Girdle them.

Christopher C. NC said...

Cheryl if only those varmints weren't such slobs tracking all kinds of filth inside the house I could put up with their slacker ways better.

Robin bring your shiny new hatchet.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Your garden is getting much neater and tidier what with all that chop, drop and cut outs. I don't blame the kitties for not wanting to be out there.