Friday, February 21, 2014

The New Rock Wall Begins

I had a little time, a little sun and a little sort of warm when I got home this afternoon. I had a pile of rocks gathered nearby. The new retaining wall for the path improvement was begun.





















It barely constitutes a real wall. It's more like rock edging.





















I'll end up with a more defined and stable foot path. I wasn't willing to cut further or deeper into the hill and give up more planting space for a wider path. The planting I have done already has restricted my path width without some major replanting. Visitors will just have to walk single file. I'm used to walking single file.





















I used up my gathered pile of rocks. Now I just need to GO FETCH about thirty more linear feet of rock. The worst part of that is I have reached a point in my organization of the rocks in the garden becoming that it is time to find a new stone quarry further afield. There is going to be some major toting in my near future.

Hmm? Just had a thought. Maybe I could do the center in glass bottles or two sections on opposite sides in glass bottles with a stone center. Glass bottles with a stone center would end up as - stone glass stone glass stone.That sounds interesting. Bottles would be much easier to tote.





















A new wall is emerging with the first sight of the daffodils. It's a sign that the ground has finally thawed.


3 comments:

Lola said...

Great idea, Christopher. I like. Pic when finished, please. Spring is on its way.

Dianne said...

My first crocus bloomed Thursday. I will have daffodils blooming within a week. Yesterday I trimmed bushes and cleaned the yard. Amazing what a little sunshine can do for your motivation. If I can only obtain the rock skills that you have. I have plenty of rock and have used some, but not with the skill that you have. Yours always turn out beautifully!

Lisa at Greenbow said...

It is exciting to see a project commencing.