Sunday, January 31, 2016

Chop Chop And Snowdrops

Another group of small dead hemlocks were cut down in the direction of my garden expansion. I have already planted a Dawn Redwood tree and a few rhododendrons down here. I found a native azalea and Goat's Beard. The area is full of Buffalo Nut, Pyrularia pubera. The cleaner it gets, the more wild flowers show up.





















My tidying this morning is just a continuation on the slope behind the cozy cabin to bring that part of the forest into the garden. There are no big planting plans. The main goal is tidy. I will make a path, edit and let nature do the planting. It will be a nature walk.





















The main planned chore for the day was next door in the ridge top garden where hundreds of snowdrops are in full bloom.





















I saw lots of snowdrops. They multiply and set seed readily.





















Dividing and spreading the bulbs around speeds their dispersal. It only takes three to four years for a new planting to turn into fat clumps.





















The ridge top garden melts before anything else. That makes any kind of work a whole lot more pleasant. I headed over there to continue on with the chop and drop of all the dead sticks from last years wild flowers. I like a clean slate for the Bulbapaloozathon.





















My endurance seems to fade a bit after sitting around so much. A couple of hours of chopping wore me out. No problem. This section of the wild cultivated gardens is almost done. There is less than a quarter to go. I'm still not seeing much daffodil activity, so there is time.

It's looking tidy. I like that.


3 comments:

Lola said...

Good that you are making more room. Can't have too many Snowdrops. Did a little yard work today & I'm wore out.

Christopher C. NC said...

Give me another ten years Lola and I will have a nice tidy nature walk through the forest. Chop and drop and lamium killing has been a very good thing for all the little bulbs like snowdrops.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

The rich soil of your forest is what makes your clumps clumps so quick. Here I have been waiting years for clumps. So slow.